With the increase of age, the various organs of many elderly people gradually tend to decline, and the teeth are no exception. Many elderly people’s teeth are loose and fall out, and they can only rely on “dentures” to maintain their daily diet. So what types of “dentures” are there? How to take care of dentures?
- Removable dentures: dentures that patients can wear by themselves, suitable for the situation where most of the teeth are missing in the whole mouth and few remaining teeth. The advantage is that the patient can be removed for cleaning, and the burden of the remaining teeth is small, but there are also many inconveniences such as low chewing efficiency and the need for patients to remove and clean after meals.
- Fixed dentures: Use the healthy teeth on both sides of the missing teeth as support to fix the dentures in the oral cavity, suitable for a few missing teeth, intermittent missing teeth, and good health of the remaining teeth. The advantages of fixed dentures are that the chewing efficiency is high, the patient is comfortable to wear, and the foreign body sensation is small, and there is no need to wear them.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are known as the third tooth of human beings. The method of repairing missing teeth is to place implants in the alveolar bone. After the implants are combined with the alveolar bone, the teeth are placed on the implants. Tooth requires that the patient’s whole body is in good health, and the alveolar bone has a certain height and width. Dental implants are comfortable and beautiful to use, do not damage the collar teeth, but are more expensive than removable dentures and fixed dentures.
How to do the daily care of dentures
- Pick up on time
It may be uncomfortable to wear dentures for the first time, so you should practice and adapt more. In order to maintain oral hygiene and avoid gum damage, take it off for cleaning after meals, and put it in a clean box before going to bed to keep the mucous membranes in the oral cavity healthy.
- Soak and clean after taking off
After the removable denture is taken off, the denture cleaning sheet should be soaked in water, and it should not be soaked in hot water or alcohol to avoid deformation and aging. It is best to take the anti-soaking solution for three to 4 hours before going to bed every night. There is a lot of tartar, so it should be soaked for a long night.
- Clean dentures
Improperly cleaned dentures can easily cause various problems, such as bad breath, loss of appetite, decreased gastrointestinal function, and even bacterial growth that has caused ulcers or other diseases and led to tooth decay. Therefore, the elderly must develop the habit of properly cleaning their dentures.
- Avoid hard, hot and other irritating foods
Eating too hard or hot food with dentures is prone to breakage or dislocation and even damages the gums, so eat less food, nuts, glutinous rice, and other foods.
If the dentures are not cleaned for a long time, food residues will be deposited on the surface of the dentures, irritating the mucous membranes and affecting the health of the oral tissues, so pay attention to oral hygiene when wearing dentures.
Type of dentures reference produced in the dental laboratory:https://www.dentallaboratorio.com/types-of-dentures-made-in-dental-laboratory/